Thursday, February 6, 2014

One of Those Long Days...

This is a bit of a rant/personal post, so if you're not into that, tune in another time for another interesting post!

Anyway, I woke up in a pretty sad mood today and it was probably from the thoughts I was having the night before.

It's been over a year since I graduated from college with two degrees, and from the hundreds of applications I've filled out over weeks and months, really nothing has come through for me. I've had amazing people in my life who have gone above and beyond and put in good words for me or helped me get my foot in the door. But it looks like I shot myself in the foot with my educational background...

You would that someone with a graduate degree and a known work ethic of an ox would actually be getting somewhere a year out of school, but here I am, waiting tables and doing whatever else is needed that day. And no, I did not get a whatever degree, I actually went to school with a field in mind which I thought had many job opportunities. For me, science has always been a great love but it also seemed like a wide open and growing field...

Most days, I remind myself how lucky I am to even have an education and that I was able to get a job that helps pay for my expenses, loans and lots of wine. Also, that I was able to graduate with such a small amount of student loans and not have to burden my now future self with a huge monthly payment. But besides the money, I've made great friends who have taught me so much about life and have given me great memories. It's always an interesting day at work and it's something I never knew I could be good at, and luckily for me, can be a side hustle I can use for years to come.

Along with that, the bf has been super supportive of me from the beginning. He is always there to offer suggestions and comfort me after the rejection letter comes in. He has the enthusiasm I need.

But there are days like today, where I wonder what went wrong and why is it that not only myself, but others like me can't get jobs that are fulfilling and actually help us get to a better place. There must be something out there that is preventing us from getting to that next step. I hope that I can look back on this part of my life as a little detour and not a total derailment.

Again, this won't be a usual thing, just wanted to get it off my chest, and I already feel a bit better!

1 comment:

  1. Somedays just get to you, and it's ok.
    This is your place, your space, and I am glad you were able to vent and work through it.

    ReplyDelete