Friday, January 10, 2014

Feeling Guilty About Purchases?! Where's that Budget?!

There are times when my friends (and even myself till around middle of last year) would complain they felt guilty about buying something small or going out to eat spontaneously.

My one response to them (in my head) is where's your budget?! 

A budget is amazing because it tells you where your money(or almost all your money) should be going. Your budget lets you know how much money you allocate towards household expenses, groceries, etc. It should be telling you what each dollar you bring in is going to do FOR YOU! 

So when an unexpected dinner date comes up, I always ask myself, how's my budget looking. If it's the end of the month and I have been too busy to go out at all, I'm willing to hop on board. But if I've been to one too many happy hours, I'll more than likely skip it.

Never should a budget be so constricting that you don't have fun every now and then. That's not a well planned out budget. Make sure that you put in categories that not only fit your lifestyle but also will make you happy at the end of the day, the week and the month. 

So, how's your budget looking? 

2 comments:

  1. Totally Agree! Me and my wife have actually setup a budget specifically for going out with friends. So we can do spontaneous things like this. And if that gets used, we usually have money left over from our normal eating out budget that we can use :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you have money set aside for going out with friends. Usually ours is both friends and for ourselves. We sometimes spend too much on ourselves...

    ReplyDelete